Everett Real Estate
About Everett, MA
The city was named after Edward Everett, who served as U.S. Representative, U.S. Senator, the 15th Governor of Massachusetts, Minister to Great Britain, and United States Secretary of State. He also served as President of Harvard University.
Everett was originally part of Charlestown, and was known as the “Mystic Side” for being North of the Mystic River. On May 16, 1649, an act was passed after the men of the Mystic Side petitioned to create a distinct town to be named Mauldon. For more than two hundred years, what is now the City of Everett was known as South Malden. Throughout the 1700s, the small farming community of South Malden continued to grow and eventually organized its own militia. That militia sprang into action during the historic events of April 19, 1775. During the Battle of Bunker Hill, the militia protected the Malden side of the Mystic from British troops.
As the City of Boston developed, so did the town of Everett, its residents, always looking to create a better life for themselves and their families,. In 1870, Everett separated from Malden forming the new Town of Everett. The town’s initial government was made up of a Board of Selectmen with five members, three Assessors, five Overseers of the Poor, a Town Clerk, a Treasurer, six School Committee members, and five Constables.
On June 11, 1892, following a vote of approval by the townspeople, Everett became a city. On December 13, 1892, Alonzo H. Evans defeated George E. Smith to become Everett’s first Mayor. Following the acceptance of the new charter, the city was divided into six wards and a bicameral legislature made up of a seven-member Board of Alderman and a 18-member Common Council.
During the same year, football began at Everett High School under the leadership of Frederick E. Jennings, now known as “Everett’s Father of Football”. By 1897, with no field or uniforms, the team progressed and went undefeated after Jennings convinced his family to take up mortgages to get a playing field for the team. Over the years, a great number of football players rose through the ranks of the Everett Crimson Tide, with many going on to play professionally. In 1914, the team was named the greatest high school team of all time by Sports Illustrated, with the team going undefeated and outscored their opponents 600-0.
Lt. Joseph F Wehner Park Spanish American War Memorial
Lt Joseph F Wehner Park on Lynn Street. The Hiker is a statue created by Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson. It commemorates the American soldiers who fought in the Spanish–American War, the Boxer Rebellion and the Philippine–American War. The Hiker depicts a hero stripped of his parade uniform and shown as a soldier reacting to the challenges of the battlefield.” It was created by Alice Ruggles, designer of at least 50 military monuments nationwide. “The Hiker” was created to honor the American soldiers who took “long hikes in the steaming jungles” during the war.
Everett City Hall Veteran’s Memorial Stadium
Visible from Revere Beach Parkway and just outside of Everett Square, in November of 2008, the Everett received a grant to refurbish the stadium under the state’s Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities program. With the help of state officials and the Everett City Council, Mayor DeMaria implemented a three-phase project. The World War II Roll Call Board is open to the public at all times. Everett Veterans Memorial Stadium is a testament to all the teams in Everett High School history that played in the stadium. With a new generation of both football and soccer players in the city, the Everett Crimson Tide hopes to add more championship banners to the stadium.
Located at Cabot Street, Everett, MA 02149
Are You Looking To Sell Your Everett Home?
Call us at 617-921-5015 or
[optima_express_search_results cityId=”7093″ propertyType=”SFR,CND” sortBy=”ds” displayType=”list” resultsPerPage=”10″ header=”false” includeMap=”true”]